Friday, December 5, 2008

Getting Started

Just posted some notes of gratitude about me as I continue this blogging experience (just for introduction and to let you all know how truly blessed I am). I have to talk about my family from time to time as they are the greatest part of my life; the source of my joy. Some of my most enjoyable times, and favorite memories, have been dive trips; vacations with a twist of lime. My wife being a flight attendant has given us the opportunity to travel to places we have enjoyed together so much and would not otherwise have happened.

Our last dive trip was to the Bahamas where we dove "Shark Alley", with vicious, man-eating, gray Caribbean reef sharks. Well maybe not, but raises the heart rate and anticipation level a bit anyway. The regular dive boat was "down-for-repairs" so we had to pile 7 divers, a guide and boat Captain in a small, Moby Dick-like, 17 foot open fishing boat. At least it was motorized.
When we got to the site, trying to get dressed in a huddle is not my idea of fun, so I rolled out of the boat and asked the guide to lower my tanks to me and I put the gear on in the water. When I turned over to cinch my waist belt, I was looking down about 60 feet to a welcoming group of circling sharks. Makes one pucker and think about the stories you hear on the dive boats at night.

I had my expensive new, handy-dandy dive camera with me and tried to load the film as we raced to the site from shore through some fairly rough seas. Bouncing along, I didn't get the end of the film caught into the camera advancing rachet, and when I got to the bottom, realized the film was not advancing. However, being the clever, Clive Cussler diver I am, I continued to act like I was snapping National Geographic Award Winning photos so my dive companions wouldn't know what a novice dunce they were diving with. The sight of Porsche-928-shaped sharks swimming right at you, turning away inches from your nose, is etched into my memory forever, but alas, no photographic evidence to prove my manhood. Another interesting learning dive. Still trying to get it right.

My hope is to have others share their experiences, tersely, to enjoy conversation of that which we love.

2 comments:

skinnyphish said...

Welcome to blogland. Love your post. Stories are better when told and imagined instead of pictures sometimes anyway.

PS go into your options and turn off the WORD VERIFICATION thing.

The Reed Family said...

Hello! Glad you jumped on the "Blog Wagon"!! I second what Curtis said... your storytelling is filled with imagery! Plus, now you'll just have to do that (or a similar dive) over again! Never hurts to dive some more! I've gotta get my hubby certified! So glad we're in the same ward! Feel free to check out our blog, though I'm not the greatest at updating frequently! www.thereedroost.blogspot.com
~Kristin Reed